The Office of the Special Prosecutor is committed to the proper care and treatment of witnesses, especially for victims of personal crimes. Therefore, for this Press Release, the names of the victims in the attached charging document are redacted to help protect the victims from intimidation and interference with the course of justice.
On Monday, July 27, 2020, Leon Gulibert, the current President of the 19th Olbiil Era Ngeaur, was arrested on 24 separate criminal violations. Mr. Gulibert was charged with nine felonies and 15 misdemeanors including the following:
- Two violations of Misconduct in Public Office [17 PNC § 4204 and 17 PNC § 3918] – both felonies.
- Two violations of the Ethics Code [33 PNC § 605] – both
- Two violations of Terroristic Threatening in the First Degree [17 PNC § 1409(a)] – both felonies.
- One count of Assault in the Second Degree [17 PNC § 1402(a)] – a felony.
- One count of Assault in the Third Degree [17 PNC § 1403(a)] – a misdemeanor.
- Two counts of Sexual Harassment [17 PNC § 1608(a)] – both
- One count Theft in the Second Degree [17 PNC § 2603)] – a felony.
- Seven counts Non-Payment of Wages (Labor Trafficking) [17 PNC § 2006(c)] – each a misdemeanor.
- Three counts Unified Tax Act – failure to keep records of transactions [40 PNC § 1601] – each a misdemeanor.
- Three counts Unified Tax Act – false and fraudulent returns [40 PNC § 1701(c)] – each a felony.
The Defendant is expected to have his initial appearance before Presiding Justice Oldiais Ngiraikelau in the Trial Division of the Palau Supreme Court on Tuesday morning, July 28, 2020, at approximately 8:00-8:30 a.m.
April Dawn Cripps, Special Prosecutor for the Republic of Palau, made the announcement and will be prosecuting the case with support from Jacob Gordin, Assistant Special Prosecutor.
The Information contains numerous allegations of criminal conduct against the Defendant. Every defendant is presumed to be innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.